Monday 17 September 2007

My First Stocking

I spent this weekend doing quite a bit of secret stitching (it gets boring, me telling you that doesn't ?!). I'm hoping to get it in the post today, so hopefully there will be photos revealed soon...

I also started my very first stocking! I'm hoping a September start will be in time for our niece's birthday, which is the week before Christmas. I don't think that H's side of the family know about my blog, so think it's entirely safe to post pictures here. I've chosen a Shepherd's Bush stocking, called 'Robert's Stocking' because it has a nice big jolly santa, and some reindeer, which feels quite festive. I'm stitching it on 20-count raw linen and using DMC Perle #5 threads. It's certainly easy to see after much recent stitching on 36-count fabric! I feel I'm going to be in at the deep end with the finishing, but I'm hoping a few in-depth conversations with my very talented sewer-mum will set me on the right path. At least it will give me an opportunity to use my new sewing machine :) Here is my start (I've started at the very bottom, as it was the widest part of the design).


Hope you all had wonderfull weekends, and are feeling fully recharged for the week ahead!


Happy stitching!

7 comments:

Wendy said...

You're off to a great start on your stocking. How funny, I just started a Christmas stocking this weekend too :-D

Lennu said...

Oh it's a beautiful start! It will be great to see your progress. I've never stitched a stocking, but I like these SB stockings a lot. Happy stitching :)

Annemarie said...

I love those SB stockings! And I can imagine the relief of stitching something on 20 count after slaving away at something on 36 count. If only 36 count didn't looks so darned beautiful...

Ranae said...

Great start, love the design.

Dani - tkdchick said...

What a colourful start!

Mindi said...

Great start on the SB stocking, the WIP pictures will be fun for this one!

Cheryl said...

Lovely start on the stocking. Ive never made one before